TIME OUTS FOR NAUGHTY BEHAVIOR!
Occasionally, like all breeds, Havanese can pick up naughty habits! Whether it is nibbling on fingers, jumping up or incessant barking, we can help! When normal tricks, like redirecting naughty behavior, are not working there are more in-depth methods to assist you! Personally, we like timeout training! It is a great way to continue to teach your Havanese the difference between how positive behavior will get tons of attention and naughty behavior will get you nothing. The key here is for everyone at home to be consistent and on the same page for success in any type of training!
First be sure to have a “Time-Out” zone/area designated:
- Not the crate he sleeps in!
- He should be able to see the family- but not participate!
- No toys/treats in timeout.
Next you should have two pre-set warning words for your Havanese that everyone should be using:
- We like the 1st word to be “Enough”.
- We like the 2nd word to be “Too Bad”.
When your pup begins to show any type of negative behavior (like barking) say “Name, Enough” (in a very firm voice).
- If he continues the negative behavior, say “Name, Too Bad”.
- Now you must get him- even if you must chase him – and put him in “time out”.
- You must keep him in time out until he shows positive behavior (sitting down, calming down etc.)
- Immediately let him out and pet him, “Good boy, Name” (this reinforces positive behavior).
- You should repeat these actions over and over for all negative behavior.
- You will see improvement by the end of the first week.
- It will get worse the 2nd week.
- Do not give up, this is called recursion (much like when a toddler is testing their limits).
- By the third week, if everyone is being consistent, the word “enough” should only have to be used rarely.
The most important things going forward with training:
- Teach him that his place in your family is at the bottom!
- You are in control, not your Havanese!
- Only positive behavior will get attention!
Remember, at Royal Flush Havanese we are ALWAYS here to help you! Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions and need assistance in breaking naughty behaviors in your Havanese! Consistency and routine are key to raising a successful pup! Be sure to check out our Havanese Reviews to hear from parents who have already taken their Royal Flush Havanese puppy home!