CALL US: 401-864-3371
Keeping Dogs Safe During Spring & Summer!
The nice weather is here! The weather is perfect for walking with your new pup or allowing dogs to lounge outside (supervised) and enjoy the warmer temperatures! However, there can be many lurking hazards for your canines! Every year we get calls on how pups have suffered or died from unseen dangers, poisons, toxins birds of prey and small predators! Below are some potential dangers and tips to keep your pup’s safe this spring and summer season!
- During winter chemical compounds are dropped on roads and sidewalks to relieve icy conditions. Even through the snow and ice have melted away, these chemicals can still be found lingering on the pavement!
- When your dog cleans himself, he can risk ingesting the chemicals dried to his paws!
- Avoid this by cleaning his pads with a wet cloth every time you come in from a walk.
- Asphalt gets HOT!
- Dark colored asphalt heats up much faster than the air.
- Pavement is too hot and can be painful for dog to walk on.
- It can cause blisters on the pads of their paws.
- Springtime is planting season and many families spend time landscaping to create beautiful gardens!
- Indoor/Outdoor plants can be toxic to pets.
- You must be conscious of what plants are accessible to your pups even if nontoxic:
- Green parts of potatoes
- Flowers: Daffodils, Azaleas, Carnations
- Oak buds and acorns
- Honeysuckle, unripen tomatoes, onions
- Many weed killers are full of herbicides that are toxic and deadly to your four legged family members!
- Ingredients have toxic, synthetic chemicals such as:
- Arsenic Trioxide
- Sodium Arsenate
- Sodium Chlorate
- Ammonium Sulfate
- If ingested can/will cause:
- Muscle weakness
- Respiratory problems
- Fertilizer can come in three forms; solid, liquid and granular. All can be toxic to your pets.
- They can stay toxic from days to weeks!
- Running through and sniffing is enough to cause poisoning in your pooch.
- Stomach Distress
- Difficulty breathing
- Cardiac arrest, and much more!
Birds of Prey:
- Any bird that has a cured beak and talons
- They have great eyesight and can see animals from a distance of about two miles
- They can study your dogs, their routines habits
- With natural habitats decreasing more wildlife are being seen in urban settings
- Food is scarce for these predators and your dog can make an appetizing meal
Protect your pups at all cost!
- Don’t leave your dogs left unattended outside
- Make improvments to fencing and housing
- Eliminate perch sites
- Trim landscaping to eliminate hiding places
- Regularly harvest your gardens and pick up any remaining food that has fallen
- Keep trash in secure bins that animals cannot get into
Remember, at Royal Flush Havanese, we are ALWAYS here to help! Please be mindful of all the dangers that come with the nice weather! We MUST protect our furry babies! Be sure to contact us is you ever need any assistance or support!