CALL US: 401-864-3371
Dog Aggression Definition: An aggressive dog has a stiff stance, a glaring stare and will charge at you, teeth bared, and will attack she reaches her target.
Your Royal Flush Havanese puppy is NOT aggressive.
Playtime with your new Royal Flush Havanese Puppy seems “aggressive”???
She’s nippy and biting at the back of your pants, feet or even your hands? As you try to play she begins to bark and snarl her teeth? When your puppy played with her litter-mates they use their mouths, so she is probably more prone to bite or “mouth” your hand when you are playing or petting her. Havanese are known for their good temperament and this behavior is NOT a sign of aggression, just a naughty habit that needs to be broken. Her mother and litter-mates corrected her rough play so it didn’t get out of hand. Now it’s your turn to train your puppy and below we’ll give you fool-proof tips to help!
Discourage Naughty Behavior in your Royal Flush Havanese Puppy!
When your Havanese puppy first comes home she doesn’t automatically know how to “play nice” and this is something you will need to work on with her. She has already forgotten her mother’s lessons, her sibling’s lessons, her caretaker’s lessons, and much like a child, she will push her “limits” and see what she can get away with in her new home.
You must teach her that mouthing will not be tolerated. Havanese puppy teeth are very sharp and mouthing and nipping can be harmful if not addressed properly.
- Begin by teaching your puppy that this negative behavior will result in no attention or social interaction. The next time she performs her negative behavior, make a loud noise, “Ouch” or “Eh, Eh” as if you’ve been hurt.
- Then you should ignore her, leave the room if you must, but DO NOT ENGAGE HER. When she calms down, return the attention and try to pet her or restart the original activity.
- Repeat these actions until the behavior is broken. This will take some time. But with time, your puppy will learn that if she wants to play, she will not nip.
Remember, to not get discouraged because with all dog training success and failure fluctuate in the beginning. She may have great progress during week one but will test her limits week two. By week three if you follow our steps you will see great results!
Encourage Positive Behavior in your Royal Flush Havanese Puppy!
- Try to find other methods to distract your new puppy’s negative behavior.
- Try to offer her a toy or chew bone when your puppy tries to gnaw on fingers or toes.
- This technique can be especially effective when children want to pet her. If your puppy gets all riled up when you pet her, distract
- her by feeding her small treats from your other hand. This will help your puppy get used to being touched without mouthing.
When petting your puppy and she doesn’t nip, remember to give lots of positive reinforcements.
- Pet her repeatedly.
- Tell her often “What a good girl” she is.
Some Helpful Tips on What Not To Do:
- DO NOT wave fingers or toes at your puppy’s face.
- DO NOT slap the sides of her face to get her to play. Doing these things WILL actually encourage your puppy to bite your hands and feet.
- DO NOT discourage your puppy from playing with you in general. Playing is what will bond your puppy and your family.
DO NOT pull your hands away roughly. This will just encourage your puppy to jump forward and grab you. Just let your hands go limp. This will be more effective as hands not moving are not much fun to play with.
- DO NOT ever grab and hold your puppies mouth shut. You should never slap or hit your puppy to stop ANY negative behavior. This will just cause your puppy to fear you and MAY ACTUALLY CAUSE long term issues like real fear aggression.
Remember, at Royal Flush Havanese we are ALWAYS here to help you! Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions or are nervous about your first week home with your new Havanese puppy! This should be a happy, joyful, and loving experience for everyone! Be sure to check out our Havanese Reviews to hear from parents who have already taken their Royal Flush Havanese puppy home!
Business hours are