CALL US: 401-864-3371
Bringing your new Royal Flush Havanese puppy to the vet can be extremely scary and nerve wracking. Below are some helpful tips of finding a great veterinarian and guiding you through Your Puppy’s first vet visit.
Finding a Veterinarian for Your Havanese Puppy
- So you’re getting ready to bring home your new Havanese puppy? You have all the supplies, her new crate and perfect new toys! Your puppy’s 1st vet visit should be within seven days of picking her up and you’re not sure how to find one? My best advice is to ask around.
- Word of mouth is always the best solution. Ask your family, ask your friends, research their reviews.
You can also check out The American Animal Hospital Association (AAHA). They evaluate veterinarians and their practices based on facilities, staff, equipment, and patient care.
- Don’t choose just one, pick a few facilities that look promising and make an appointment to go visit before bringing your new puppy.
- Make sure you look around when you get there. Consider if the space is clean and organized. Make sure to ask questions. Don’t be shy, most vets appreciated it when you take an interest.
- Your new puppy can’t speak, so you are his advocate.
Questions to Ask Potential Veterinarians:
The relationship between your puppy, vet and you will last many years. Make sure to take the time to find “the one”. You will need to feel comfortable with your vet to discuss pet symptoms, test results and treatment options. Having good communication is the most important thing.
- How many vets are on the staff?
- Are you going to be seeing the same vet every time or do they rotate?
- Who will be responsible for your puppy when your vet is not available?What are their emergency protocols?
- Are they familiar with the Havanese breed?
- What are their credentials?
Your First Visit to the Veterinarian
So you’ve chosen a vet and today’s the day to introduce puppy. What exactly happens at a first visit?
- You start off with a physical examination. Your vet will thoroughly look over your puppy. Be sure she is gentle and loving with your pup and if your vet is not nurturing toward your pup, leave and find another vet. She should make sure your pup has a great experience and take the time to make her feel comfortable like a good Doctor would do.
- She should check her body, skin, coat, eyes, ears, nose and mouth. She should also check her vision and hearing.
- Your vet should look over your health record provided by us and continue on that schedule. The vaccinations are there to protect your pup. The main ones are distemper, canine hepatitis, canine parvovirus and rabies. Your puppy has already begun to receive some of those vaccinations before ever leaving Royal Flush Havanese.
- Be sure to NEVER ALLOW your veterinarian to “repeat” any of her vaccinations. We have sent you home with the stickers from the vials of vaccines and that is all the proof your vet needs to pick up her schedule where we left off. It is never good to over-immunizing your puppy. Some dogs can be very sensitive and develop an immune reaction from too many vaccines. This can also cause death and if she lives, it will be very expensive to ensure her recovery. You are your puppy’s strongest advocate. If your vet wants to re-vaccinate or do something you are not comfortable with, speak up. Don’t let the vet bully you into giving unnecessary shots. And above all, don’t be afraid to question your vet!
What to Discuss with Your Vet
- After providing the vet with the Health Record that came with your puppy, discuss vaccinations and have the proper ones given
- Have a fecal exam performed on your puppy (you want to bring a fresh stool sample with you)
- Discuss heartworm prevention and start your puppy on a preventive
- Discuss other daily care such as brushing teeth
- Discuss and start flea and tick control medications if necessary
Remember, at Royal Flush Havanese we are ALWAYS here to help you! Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions or are nervous about your first week home with your new Havanese puppy! This should be a happy, joyful, and loving experience for everyone! Be sure to check out our Havanese Reviews to hear from parents who have already taken their Royal Flush Havanese puppy home!