CALL US: 401-864-3371
As soon as you pick your Havanese adult or puppy up from the breeder, the first experience he will have is to travel home. Royal Flush Havanese explains how to travel safely with your dog or pup!It is of utmost importance to begin traveling with your pet in a positive and safe manor to teach him to LOVE it. Whether by car, plane or other methods of how to travel safely, starting your puppy off when he is young with enjoyable trips will make him an amazing traveling companion! The 1st priority in traveling with your puppy is always SAFETY! The 2nd is comfort.
BEGINNING TO TRAVEL WITH YOUR PUPPY:
Traveling with your new Havanese puppy usually begins with a car ride! The first questions always asked is if you can put your puppy in your lap during a ride in the car? Would you ever think of letting your baby or toddler sit in your lap? Would you let them run around the backseat while you are driving? Then please don’t let your dog do so! Putting your puppy in a crate (when new to the car) or harness restraint will protect him from unforeseen circumstances. Imagine if you have to stop short or if you get in an accident.
- Being in a crate will help him:
- Not hit the windshield or fly out of the car.
- Protect everyone in the car from being hit by a flying dog.
- Save his life from being thrown from your car and hit by oncoming traffic.
- Keep you from getting distracted.
Front or Back Seat:
Always think, would you let your toddler ride in the front seat?
Your puppy can be killed by a deploying airbag.
Crate or Carried:
The SAFEST PLACE FOR YOUR PUPPY IS A CRATE!
- Your puppy may not be familiar with a harness.
- He may panic with an unfamiliar restraint and distract the driver.
- Currently there is not a restraint that will adequately fit your puppy and keep him safe.
PLANE TRAVEL WITH YOUR PUPPY:
- NEVER put your puppy in cargo! Check with different airlines, as each airline has different requirements when traveling with a pet.
- Air travel is stressful on all animals.
- No matter how smooth the flight and landing seem to you, in cargo it can be very dangerous.
- Temperatures can fluctuate sporadically.
- Noise levels are amplified.
- Air pressure can drop significantly.
- Pets that are shipped cargo are placed alone in a crate, in a dark space, beneath the passenger cabin.
Ask the airline these questions if you are flying with your puppy:
- Will the airline allow you to take your cat or small dog in the cabin with you?
- Does the airline have any special pet health and immunization requirements?
- Does the airline require a specific type of carrier? Most airlines will accept either hard-sided carriers or soft-sided carriers (which may be more comfortable for your pet), but only certain brands of soft-sided carriers are acceptable to certain airlines.
- Your pet’s carrier will have to pass through the security screening along with you. You have two options: Either be sure your pet is securely harnessed so you can safely contain him outside his carrier while it’s being x-rayed, or request a special secondary screening that won’t require you to take him out of him carrier.
- What are the restrictions if your puppy becomes fussy in flight?
Royal Flush’s Crate Recommendations:
There are many types of crates/carriers available. The safest option is to get crash-tested crates! The Center for Pet Safety has all testing and results listed below!
Gunner Kennels: G1 Intermediate Crate It is made with the highest quality materials, engineered using the best processes and comes with a limited lifetime warranty.
PETEGO: Jet Set Forma FrameThe Forma Frame System transforms the Jet Set into a solid structure for ultimate companion comfort and safety. The proprietary connection system, which includes integrated buckles and handle, adds structural integrity, component durability and stream-lined utility to our classic Jet Set carriers.
SLEEPYPOD: Mobile Pet BedCrash-tested Sleepypod transforms into a cozy and safe car seat with velcro positioning points that secure a seat belt in place. Your furry friend can now remain safely in his or her own bed throughout the entire journey.
Remember, at Royal Flush Havanese we are ALWAYS here to help you! Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions or are nervous about your first week home with your new Havanese puppy! This should be a happy, joyful, and loving experience for everyone! Be sure to check out our Havanese Reviews to hear from parents who have already taken their Royal Flush Havanese puppy home!
Business hours are