Royal Flush Havanese encourages every single one of our puppy parents to brush their pup’s teeth! If you want to keep your dog in optimal health, it is vitally important that this task does not get forgotten! When teeth are not maintained and brushed regularly it can lead to tooth loss, decay and even heart disease! Below are some facts and tips to help keep your pup’s teeth in great shape and sparkling clean!
DENTAL CARE FACTS:
- Dental disease is the #1 illness affecting pets, and can affect heart, kidney and lung function.
- 59% of pet owners did not know that proper oral care can prevent dental disease.
- By age 3, 80% of dogs have a form of dental disease.
- Good dental care can help your pups live up to 20% longer!
SIGNS OF DENTAL DISEASE:
- Brownish-yellow tarter on teeth
- Red, swollen gums
- Bad breath
- Bleeding from the mouth
- Pawing at face in the mouth area
- Brush your pups’ teeth regularly
- We have already begun to desensitize all pups to this!
- Give your pup plenty of opportunities to chew
- We love bully sticks, especially during teething phases!
- Schedule annual exams with your vet
- Check out our Vet Blog to teach you what you need to know!
- Provide your pup with a well-balanced healthy diet
- We recommended only Life’s Abundance dog food to promote the healthy development of your puppy!
TIPS ON DESENSITIZING YOUR PUP FOR BRUSHING:
- Choose a tooth-brushing place
- As many times a day as you can take your pup into the “area” (such as the bathroom)
- Make fun things happen here – bring their favorite toy, treat, etc.
- Teach them to enjoy this space
- Desensitize to the toothbrush
- Allow them to observe the brush
- Movie it around the house to different locations to get them use to seeing it
- Desensitize to the touching of teeth
- All our pups go home desensitized to putting your hands in their mouth.
- Continue this by placing your fingers in their mouth to take away toys or even just touch their teeth daily
Remember, at Royal Flush Havanese we are ALWAYS here to help you! Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions on keeping your pup healthy and brushing their teeth! This should be something the entire family enjoys keeping your new pup in optimal health! Don’t forget to check out the rest of our BLOGS to help with all your training needs!